– Pitted Black Olives; Jumbo for the bodies and medium size for the heads.
– 1 or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced as directed below.
– Toothpicks or cocktail picks long enough to skewer through entire penguin (head, body, and carrot “feet”.
– Cream cheese, room temperature, plain or flavored as desired (see below).
– A small sharp knife
– A small butter or canape knife (blunt, rounded blade.)
– Damp paper towels or kitchen towel for wiping fingers and tidying cream cheese from olive “bodies” after filling and assembling.
– Platter, tray, mirror or plate for serving
Slit jumbo olive lengthwise and fill with cream cheese (this is the body, the cream cheese is the “tuxedo shirt”.
I used plain (room temperature) cream cheese and filled the ‘tummy’ using a small butter or canape knife (cheese spreader knife.)
You can use flavored cheese (or cream cheese mixed with a little dry-ranch dressing mix, etc.) Gently wipe “body” with damp cloth or paper towel to tidy any cream cheese smears. Use the medium size olive for the head (point the hole where the pit was removed to the back of the penguin body.)
Peel and slice a carrot into thin rounds for the “feet”, cut a small pie-shaped wedge from each carrot slice (reserving the “pie” shaped triangular piece for the penguins “beak”.)
Insert a toothpick through head, the body and into the carrot “feet” base.
Insert reserved triangular piece of carrot into the small “x” shaped hole at end of medium-size olive for “beak”.
Arrange on serving platter; if not serving immediately, cover gently with cling-film and refrigerate until serving time.