Makes: 12 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 kgs / 3,5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 can pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and slice each half crosswise into 1-inch-thick half-moons.
- Melt butter in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat evenly.
- Add maple syrup; toss potatoes to coat, and bring to a boil.
- Use non-aerosol non stick spray to grease a 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, syrup, lemon, sugar and coconut together over a low heat.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle mixture over sweet potatoes.
- Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, 45 to 50 minutes more.
- Transfer skillet to oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are golden, well glazed, and tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm. Top mixture with pecans.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Just before serving, reheat at 350°F until hot, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 96 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (230% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Other recommended sweet potato recipes